In recognition of Paul’s distinguished and lengthy career of service to architects and the architectural profession, this scholarship program was created to celebrate Paul’s experiences with the California Architects Board (CAB) as well as AIACC and his unwavering belief in the power of the architectural license. The scholarship will recognize the significant contributions of California interns at early stages in their careers and encourage them to complete the licensure process by covering the costs associated with the Architect Registration Examination (ARE). The scholarship program will be modeled after the AIA/NAC Jason Pettigrew Memorial ARE Scholarship and will be administered jointly by the AIACC Academy of Emerging Professionals (AEP) and the California Architectural Foundation (CAF).
A committee of distinguished professionals representing AEP, CAF and the California Fellows will select the recipients annually based on their satisfaction of the criteria described below. Scholarship recipients will receive:
- Full complement of Kaplan ARE Study Guides (courtesy of Kaplan AEC Education)
- Funding to cover the cost of passing all divisions of the ARE one time
- Recipients will receive scholarship funds at time of award announcement and must successfully complete all divisions of the ARE within three years of receiving the award and submit passing reports from each ARE division. Funds can be applied to previously passed divisions. Scholarship is subject to local, state, and federal tax.
In order for an applicant to be eligible for this scholarship, the individual must be a California resident at the time of application and one of the following:
- Associate AIA member in good standing;
- NCARB record holder in good standing; or
- A person who has passed one or more divisions of the ARE but has not passed all divisions.
- AEP Council of Advisors members are not eligible.
Applicants should demonstrate one or more of the following attributes:
- Significant contributions at an early stage of career to the profession and/or community;
- Exemplary involvement in community and/or professional organizations;
- Outstanding achievement in the creation, development and delivery of creative programs for emerging professionals;
- Demonstrated passion for pursuit of registration;
- Strong letters of support detailing personal and professional contributions; and an inspiring statement of contribution